Support to manage youth sector activities and spaces during COVID-19
The National Youth Agency (NYA) are the Professional Statutory and Regulatory Body for youth work in England. They have developed specific advice and guidance around Coronavirus restrictions for those working in the youth sector.
The guidance aims to ensure local providers, youth leaders, volunteers and young people to remain safe when engaging in youth sector activities in the community and to help those in the youth sector to open up services for young people at the right pace and time.
It is recommended that those applying this guidance to youth provision in their venues should do so in conjunction with their existing safeguarding policies and procedures. It is also complementary to government guidance on social distancing, travel and other measures which must be adhered to.
The NYA Readiness Level is currently GREEN. This means:
- All young people are able to attend indoor or outdoor activities.
- Youth provision for young people of all ages, both under and over 18 years of age, have the same requirements.
- All youth provision may meet indoors or outdoors without limitations on group size. The regulations no longer require youth sector providers to operate bubble sizes or limit group sizes to a maximum number of attendees outside of measures usually in place for safe working practices. However, the NYA requires providers to review their Action Plans and Risk Assessments and take steps to reduce the risk of community transmission. For example, consider how to manage groups of young people to a manageable number to minimise the risk of transmission.
- Online/digital, detached/outdoor and 1-2-1 youth sector provision will remain available to all young people.
- Trips and visits are permitted.
- Travel by minibus, taxi, public transport, or private car (subject to safeguarding) are permitted. The youth sector’s goal at all times should be to minimise the risk of COVID transmission.
- Overnight and residential experiences are permitted. From the 27th January 2022 no group size restrictions apply to the youth sector. The same measures apply to all age groups.
- International travel is permitted in line with Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office travel advice.
The NYA will continue to update this guidance and their readiness levels. You can find out more by visiting: https://nya.org.uk/guidance/